The 7th annual state-wide Immunize SD Conference: “Building Community through Connection” was held on September 26. This year’s event demonstrated how community engagement impacted the health of the people in the community. Our opening keynote talked about building trust with patients by meeting them where they are, why engaging and giving back to their communities is important, and how understanding their needs leads to better care. Our closing speaker discussed how to become involved with your community and ways to give back. Sessions throughout the day covered specific vaccination topics as well as strategies to overcome barriers to care and improve vaccine confidence.
This conference took place in-person in Sioux Falls with a virtual attendance option, intending to promote immunizations throughout South Dakota by supporting health care providers through education and community outreach resources.
- Report current vaccine rates and trends in South Dakota and share planned initiatives of the Department of Health to improve rates.
- Increase provider knowledge of immunization best practices, vaccine developments, and innovative vaccine delivery.
- Provide tactics to improve sharing information with patients for increased trust and credibility.
- Demonstrate how being an advocate for basic needs builds trust and how trust is crucial to addressing vaccine confidence and overcoming health inequities in any community.
- Describe how to work with partners and trusted messengers in the community to promote and provide vaccination to reach a state of equitable vaccine access.
Continuing Education Credits
Nursing: This nursing continuing professional development activity was approved by Montana Nurses Association, an accredited approver with distinction by the American Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Provider: The AAFP has reviewed Immunize SD: Building Connection Through Community and deemed it acceptable for up to 7.00 Live AAFP Prescribed credits. Term of Approval is from 09/26/2023 to 09/26/2023. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Pharmacy: The South Dakota Board of Pharmacy has approved this program for 6 hours of pharmacist continuing education (CE) credits. Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians, please check with your certification board to ensure that these credits will be accepted for certification.
FIND THE CONFERENCE EVALUATION HERE.
Complete the evaluation by Friday, October 13 for a chance to win a $50 Scheels Gift Card!